Complete the official Graduate Admissions application online. As part of that process, you must also submit:
- Personal Statement (see below for more information)
- Official transcripts from all degree-awarding institutions. ASU accepts both electronic and physical transcripts. Electronic transcripts are only accepted from E-Scrip, Parchment, and National Student Clearinghouse. Hard copy transcripts should be sent to Graduate Admissions.
- English Proficiency for non-native English speakers (Submit TOEFL to university code 4007; department code 99)
- Letters of recommendation (3). The application will prompt you to provide email addresses for three letters of recommendation. The recommenders should be from academic professionals or professional colleagues capable of evaluating your abilities, accomplishments, and professional potential. ASU will contact your recommenders at the email address provided.
Incomplete and late applications are not guaranteed to be reviewed. Please allow sufficient time for submission and processing of relevant test scores, transcripts, and letters of recommendation.
Personal statement must address the following questions:
- What specialty in geography do you wish to pursue, and why?
- Describe the aspects of your education that will enable you to pursue this specialty.
- What additional training do you feel you can obtain at Arizona State University to realize your education and career goals?
*Please provide any other information (for example: research experience or information which might be drawn from your resume) that you feel we should consider in your application for admission.
Personal statement should be no longer than two pages.
A generic statement, often sent to multiple universities, does not substitute for responses to these questions that address your reasons for applying to the ASU MA program in geography.
Applications received or completed after the dates below may be reviewed only if space is available in the program.
- January 15 is the final deadline to submit your complete application. Admit term is for Fall Semester Session A/C only.
- Fall A 2024 Deadline: July 25, 2024 [start 8/22]
- Fall B 2024 Deadline: September 18, 2024 [start 10/16]
- Fall C 2024 Deadline: July 25, 2024 [start 8/22]
- Spring A 2023 Deadline: December 11, 2023 [start 1/8]
- Spring B 2023 Deadline: February 12, 2023 [start 3/11]
- Spring C 2023 Deadline: December 11, 2023 [start 1/8]
Note about funding:
You may be eligible for a fellowship from ASU Graduate College.
Need-based: If you are a US citizen, please consider submitting a FAFSA to be eligible for the need-based Graduate College Fellowship.
Merit-based: If you are an underrepresented student (visit link for definition), consider incorporating this information into your personal statement in order to be considered for nomination for the Interdisciplinary Enrichment Fellowship.
The SGSUP admissions committee will forward nominations to ASU Graduate College, who will make the ultimate decision. Awardees will be notified via email.