For complete details and to apply, go to https://www.phoenix.gov/hr/current-jobs, choose "Current Job Openings," and search on "GIS."
GIS Technicians develop and maintain GIS datasets and linkages to various databases; perform spatial analysis on data using GIS software; read and interpret source documents, and civil engineering plans, plat maps, property deeds, and legal descriptions; performs field verification; enter required data into the GIS; perform routine mapping duties; perform minimal project management and application development responsibilities; and interface with other City employees and the public.
Currently, there are vacancies in the Street Transportation and Parks and Recreation. This recruitment and any interview process as a result of this recruitment may be used by multiple hiring managers and multiple departments throughout the City to fill any related current or future vacancies; other recruitments and appropriate eligible lists may also be considered.
$21.23 (minimum) - $31.21 (maximum) hourly / $44,158 - $64,917 annually.
A comprehensive benefits package is offered which includes traditional pension with employer and employee contributions; choice of medical HMO, PPO, or HSA/HDHP plan; wellness incentive of up to $720 annually; dental; vision; life insurance; long-term disability; 401(a) and 457 plans; medical enrollment includes a monthly $150 City contribution to a Post-Employment Health Plan; bus/light rail pass; tuition reimbursement program; paid time off includes 11.5 paid holidays, 12 vacation days, and 15 sick days and personal leave days. For more details, visit: Unit 3 Benefits
- Associate's degree or equivalent course work at a technical or vocational school, in geographic information systems, geography, planning, landscape architecture, civil engineering, computer science, or a related field OR Two years of experience working with geographic information systems.
- An equivalent combination of related experience and education may be considered.
- Some positions in this classification require the use of personal or City vehicles on City business.
- The City job description can be found here.
- Only the highest qualified will be posted to the eligible to hire list.
- All finalists for positions are subject to a criminal background check applicable to the department or position.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS – The minimum qualifications listed above, plus:
- Previous experience with ESRI software including ArcGIS for Desktop and its extensions
- Experience with GIS databases and Landbase Maintenance software
- Some positions may require CAD or other GIS software
- For some positions, experience reading and interpreting civil engineering plans legal descriptions is preferred